ETTRICK — A photograph the Trempealeau County Historical Society dates to 1918 shows Ettrick’s Main Street as an unpaved road lined with frame storefronts, utility poles and a horse-drawn vehicle. It looks like the center of town.

Historically, it was the last layer.

By 1918 the Town of Ettrick had existed for 56 years, the settlement had been platted for 41, and the Village that now sits inside the Town would not incorporate for another 30. The families who kept those storefronts in business lived out along Beaver Creek, French Creek and the coulees between them.

That sequence explains a confusion that survives today. “Ettrick” is one community name attached to two separate governments. The Town surrounds the much smaller Village. Each has its own elected board, property-tax base, census count and public obligations. The churches and the school have never fitted neatly inside the line. Neither have the businesses or the family networks.

Read the Town column alone and Ettrick appears to lose 566 people in ten years. But 415 of them had not moved anywhere. The Town lost a village.

One limit should be stated at the front. The county histories relied on here begin their local narrative with Euro-American settlement in the 1850s. They do not account for Indigenous presence, land use or displacement before that, and this article does not fill that gap.

Settlement followed the creeks

The 1917 county history places John Cance and his brother-in-law Andrew C. Purvis in the area on May 25, 1855. Scandinavian settlers followed along the North Branch of Beaver Creek in 1857. The same history dates the French Creek settlement to 1859 and a South Branch settlement to 1861.

These were not suburbs waiting on a town center. Families picked farms for water, road access and workable ground. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources describes the surrounding basin as forested ridges cut by agricultural valleys, which is why settlement ran along the creeks instead of gathering in one place. Getting a crop to market meant a long haul toward La Crosse, Sparta or Trempealeau.

The Town of Ettrick was created on Dec. 16, 1862. Its first meeting was held at Cance’s home the following spring, though the county history gives two dates for it. One chapter says the meeting was called for April 7, 1863; another says it was held April 17. The original Town minute book would settle whether the gap is an adjournment, a delay or a printer’s error. This paper has not seen it.

The name comes down the same way, as a story rather than a chain of records. The 1917 history says “Ettrick” was taken from the Ettrick Forest in Sir Walter Scott’s poem “Marmion.” A commercial postal-history index lists both Armagh and Ettrick in 1860, but the federal appointment record that would establish the naming sequence was not located.

The first census after the Town’s creation counted 1,214 people in 1870, spread through the valleys rather than gathered in a village. The count reached 1,650 in 1880 and 1,969 in 1900.

A store, a mill, a creamery

Iver Pederson began merchandising in the settlement in 1870, according to county histories published in 1892 and 1917. The later volume calls it Ettrick’s first store. It opened seven years before anyone platted the place.

The plat was recorded in June 1877. Here too the 1917 history contradicts itself, printing June 20 in one passage and June 30 in another. It names Alfred P. Ford as surveyor and associates the plat with James Corcoran, P. J. Huff, Iver Knudson, Hans Christiansen and Pederson. The recorded plat itself was not inspected for this article.

Ettrick’s business came from the farms around it. The county history ties those long market trips to a turn toward dairying: butter and cream travelled better than grain. Pederson built a flouring mill in 1884, his 1892 biography says, with a capacity of 75 barrels in 24 hours. That does not necessarily make it the first mill in the area; another biography places a gristmill interest nearby before 1875.

The cooperative Ettrick Creamery Association incorporated in 1885. A successor company formed in 1907 with roughly 200 stockholders. For the year ending April 30, 1916, the county history reported 400 contributing patrons. That is milk coming in from a wide countryside, though the surviving account does not map where those farms were.

The creamery turned a perishable farm product into butter and pulled hundreds of separate farm transactions into one place. A 1962 clipping held by the Historical Society calls the Ettrick Cooperative Creamery the community’s largest industry and reports 23.5 million pounds of milk handled in a year. Whether that operation is legally and physically continuous with the 1885 association still needs confirmation.

Main Street, the mill and the creamery made Ettrick a service center without making it a large town. The pattern of many small farms using a compact cluster of merchants and processors stayed recognizable long after automobiles replaced teams on the road.

A church that predates Main Street

French Creek Lutheran shows how much of Ettrick took shape before Ettrick had a center.

Families from eastern Norway began settling French Creek Valley in 1859. In 1862 — the same year the Town was created — seven settlers organized the congregation with help from the Rev. Peter Laurentius Larsen. There was no sanctuary. Members worshiped in log homes and later a schoolhouse, and some walked or took ox teams to services elsewhere in the Trempealeau Valley.

They put up a 34-by-60-foot wooden church seating about 400 in 1878. It was remodeled in 1890 and 1891, then substantially rebuilt between 1903 and 1905 with wings, a brick exterior and a new steeple. A 1952 congregational history also records a pipe organ, parsonages, choirs and rooms used for meals and meetings.

The church sits in the Town of Ettrick, outside the incorporated Village. The Village lists it in a community church directory anyway. The line is exact; the ties cross it.

The railroad, the peak, and the line of 1948

Ettrick entered the twentieth century with 1,969 Town residents. The contemporaneous 1910 census printed 2,159; later federal historical tables print 2,150. In 1920 the Town reached 2,303, the highest figure in the series assembled for this article.

Those years also brought an attempt to pull Ettrick onto the regional rail network. Organizers incorporated the Ettrick & Northern Railway in 1915 to connect the village with the Green Bay & Western at Blair. The Town voted $75,000 in bonds, the 1917 county history reported, and more than 400 farmers in the proposed service area subscribed support.

When that history went to press, grading was nearing Ettrick. A later newspaper photograph shows a deep construction cut on the Blair–Ettrick ridge. Then the record goes quiet. No timetable and no regulatory file was located showing when regular trains began, how long they ran, or when service ended.

After the 1920 peak the Town count fell to 2,083 in 1930 and 1,991 in 1940. The available records do not support pinning that decline on any single cause.

Then the legal map changed. The Village of Ettrick incorporated in 1948, and the 1950 census counted the two municipalities separately for the first time.

Ettrick population before and after the village incorporated
19401950
Town of Ettrick1,9911,425
Village of Ettricknot yet incorporated415
Combined1,9911,840

Read the Town column alone and Ettrick appears to lose 566 people in ten years. But 415 of them had not moved anywhere. They had been redistricted into a new heading. The community lost 151 people that decade. The Town lost a village.

The two columns went their separate ways on paper; the community did not split to match. The Village grew to 479 in 1960, held near the low 460s through 1990, crossed 500 in 2000 and counted 525 in 2020. The Town fell to 1,268 in 1970, rebounded to 1,420 in 1980 and counted 1,285 in 2020.

School, work and the Ettrick of today

Government and daily life kept spreading past the old settlement. Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction records show the Gale-Ettrick and Trempealeau districts merging in 1971 into Galesville-Ettrick-Trempealeau. Ettrick Elementary remains in the Village and serves a community considerably larger than the municipal map implies. Certified enrollment moved from 97 students in 2015-16 to 120 in 2025-26, rising and falling in between.

Hegg Mill tells the same story. The company says it has offered custom feed mixing since 1978 and now sells feed, seed and farm supplies. Federal and county records confirm its U.S. Highway 53 address in the Town of Ettrick; the 1978 start date still needs independent confirmation in newspapers or corporate filings.

Federal County Business Patterns counted 45 employer establishments and 202 employees in ZIP code 54627 in 2023. Thirty-five of those establishments had fewer than five employees. The ZIP crosses municipal boundaries and the employment estimate carries a high-noise flag, so the figures describe a small-business area rather than a precise Village or Town economy.

Much of the work is somewhere else. Federal job-flow records place La Crosse first among workplace destinations for employed residents of both municipalities, with Whitehall, Galesville, Onalaska, Winona and Blair also appearing. American Community Survey estimates put the average one-way commute at roughly 24.6 minutes for Village workers and 31.3 minutes for Town workers, excluding those who worked at home.

Wisconsin’s Jan. 1, 2025 estimates put the Village at 520 residents and the Town at 1,291.

The separation has practical stakes. Wisconsin’s 2025 tax report listed about $47.4 million in full value for the Village and $232.6 million for the Town. In 2026 the two boards were discussing how to share fire-service costs, though the records reviewed for this article do not establish that any proposal was adopted.

Ettrick was never only the buildings at its center. The farms kept the merchants in business. The mill and the creamery served the farms. Later the consolidated school and the commute to La Crosse stretched the community farther still. Main Street is the part that ended up in the photograph. The creeks and the coulees put it there.

The countryside built one community. The line drawn in 1948 put two governments inside it.